Subscribe

Enter your email address below to subscribe to this blog.

Monday, June 23, 2014

She'll Be Coming 'Round the Mountain...

 *Tiny wormy disclaimer---This post has and will not be edited. It’s from the heart and right off of the top of the dome.
**Feel free to comment and add some words of encouragement, comment and/or ask questions



Day 3 without water and I feel like a millions bucks! We were promised that we would have the water back working tomorrow.  Every now and then I have a moment where I pause and look around and say to myself, "Kem, you are in Ethiopia. You are REALLY in Africa. Wow! Wow! Wow!

Oh and by the way, it is 2006 here and not 2014, since they follow a different calendar, based on the phases of the moon.  I think that is pretty cool!

On ministry days, the women in the group dress in over the knee skirts and loose fitting tops to respect the older traditions in the villages. The men wear pants.  None of this trip has been about fashion and I absolutely love being in comfortable clothes, no make-up etc.

After breakfast this morning, we loaded into vans with our translators and took a two hour bumpy ride up the mountain to Segen.  It was so bumpy that I started to feel car sick.  However, the views were breath taking and the air here is nothing like I've experienced before. It was so fresh and... pure.  I couldn't help but to to stick my face out of the window to take it all in.





  Along the way, we passed through many villages. I even managed to give some Skittles and Starbursts to some of the kids as we were passing by.  Many of them starting dancing when they saw us.  Often times, they repeatedly yell, "You, you, you, you," to get our attention. It works.  If there aren't too many around, we will give usually them some candy.

My favorite part of the day was arriving at the school that e3Partners has funded.  We were able to see the work that had been completed so far and to meet with the Governor.  I love that they train, employ and pay the locals to do the work to help stimulate their own economy etc. versus sending outsiders to do the labor.

There were so many kids greeting us when we arrived. I couldn't stop smiling. Have you ever smiled so much that your face began to hurt?   I shook so many hands and looked into so many eyes that I couldn't keep count.  Pure joy!

They kept getting in trouble by the school master for not staying back.  That made us feel bad. Even Caden felt that he was blending in too much and might get hit with the stick too.



Caden on the other hand was overwhelmed by all of the attention he was receiving.
Everywhere he went, they kept walking up to him starring.  He said, "Mom they are getting too close."  I told him to relax, say hello and to extend his hand for a handshake.  He did, but he was still uneasy about it.  They starred at him more than anyone else and I still can't figure out why.  As far the white-American girls in our group, the kids loved to pull on and touch their hair.  Most of them are used to it, so they try to wear it pulled-up if possible. 
Kids waving good-bye




















After we left the school, we traveled a little more up the mountain to a church to meet with our "Discipleship makers." They are from the local villages and speak the tribal tongue.  In other words, another translator.  We speak, the translator translates to Amharic and the discipleship maker translates to the native tongue. It's amazing to watch.  We were split into groups to go and speak with the Burji tribe about Priceless Cube (a cube to educate about human trafficking) and share the EvangiCube (another cube used to tell the story of Jesus).  According to the Joshua Project, the Burji tribe are among some of the ones that have been "unreached."

But how can they call on him to save them unless they believe in Him? And how can they believe in Him if they have never heard about Him? And how can they hear about Him unless someone tells them?
         ~Romans 10:14



After this I looked, and there before me was a great multitude that no one could count, from EVERY nation, tribe, people and language, standing before the throne and before the Lamb... 
           ~Revelation 7:9

 Can you believe that almost 30 people decided to give their live to Christ today? OMG! And many are now aware of human trafficking.

And I'm still having  "WTH are you doing here moments?"...smh! For those of you that really know me are probably wondering what in the world is Kem doing. My answer: I have no idea! I am just allowing God to lead me and use me.  I'm still the same witty person. I love to give back and experience life. It's just that simple.

Tomorrow we will head back up the mountain to Segen. We will leave the hotel bright and early to arrive by 8am to minister with the men of the Burji tribe before they leave to work the fields. 

1 comment:

  1. You go girl! Ministry may be your second calling--35 people converted and you're getting the word out about human trafficking.

    The kids in the pics are beautiful and they seem really happy--all smiles.

    P.S.-They were starring at Caden's sideburns. lol

    Love,
    Auntie Bert

    ReplyDelete