Subscribe

Enter your email address below to subscribe to this blog.

Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Bubbles, Barley and Bible Study!

How we are greeted when the vans arrive! They love us!

  *Tiny wormy disclaimer---This post has and will not be edited. It’s from the heart and right off of the top of the dome.
**Feel free to comment and add some words of encouragement, comment and/or ask questions
Day 4: We went back up to the mountain to meet with more families. The first home that I entered had several women and a few men.  They declared themselves Christians, but admitted that they do not own bibles and have not read it.  I did a bible study with them focusing on Matthew 28:16-20, The Great Commission I am looking forward to returning to this home tomorrow to deliver bibles. written in Amharic. We also prayed and they offered to do a Buna or coffee ceremony with us.  We accepted.  We were first given a plate of Kolo, an Ethiopian roasted barley snack. It was actually pretty good.  The coffee was so good. It was the absolute BEST coffee I have ever had.  I found out that they grow their own coffee in the back yard and that Ethiopia is the birthplace of coffee.  They hand roast the beans until they are dark brown/black. They also grind the beans by hand and place the grounds in a Jebena, Ethiopian coffee pot and allow it to settle for 5-10 minutes. All of this is done without any electricity in the area. I ended our time with Priceless cube. You could see the expressions on their faces change to concerned and frustrated looks.  One of the ladies said that one of her daughters left with some foreigners and she felt that she couldn't do anything about it. 

Kolo
Coffee Ceremony

Gideon and Caden. They are both 8 years old :)
The group after we completed bible study




















The remainder of the day was spent going to different homes. Some ran away or hid from us. The majority of the people in the village are Ethiopian Orthodox and they are warned by their pastors to not listen to anything Christians have to say. Outside of some of the homes, up to 30-40 people gathered to hear the Priceless Cube message.  Some even asked questions. After we completed the Priceless Cube, we did the Evangicube.  More questions were asked regarding clarification of the beliefs, how to get to heaven etc. I was glad that they were interested in what I had to say.
Listening to one of the translators translate for me.  
While walking to other homes, I remembered that I had bubbles in my backpack. The sound of the kids laughter was priceless!
My translator Girma blowing bubbles
I enjoyed having lunch with my translator, Girma. We discussed race relations, politics etc.  I invited him to try some of my lunch and snacks. They don't really have potato chips like we do in the states.  Their chips are actually french fries.  He really enjoyed the Flaming Hot Cheetos and Salt and Vinegar Chips :)

Walking through the village
Caden posing with hotel security. It's real out here in these Ethiopian streets













2 comments:

  1. Another interesting day. You and Caden are having the experience of a lifetime. One question--Any running water yet? You don't look dirty and your hair looks good up like that.
    Auntie Bert

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Aunt Bert-

      We still don't have any running water :( I think I've gotten use to it. They keep promising us water everyday.

      Delete